Trainee Selection Criteria
Step 1: Trainee Selection Criteria > Step 2: Application > Step 3: Additional Materials
The following criteria will be used for assessment of applicants:
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- Quality of applicant is measured by past academic achievement, GRE scores, and external letters of support.
- Current academic status of applicant, particularly whether the applicant has been accepted into the Ph.D. program of a department/school with one or more IGERT faculty participants. Applicants who are in their last semester of an M.S. program and who show commitment toward completion of a Ph.D. will also be considered. A 3.5 GPA in your undergraduate major courses is required for consideration for the traineeship.
- Commitment of the applicant to completion of a Ph.D. degree with a focus on sustainable (smart) grids, which includes inter-disciplinary thematic areas.
- Commitment of applicant toward assuming a leadership role in the energy field upon completion of the Ph.D.
- Commitment of applicant to working within the inter-disciplinary framework as an IGERT student trainee.
- Commitment of faculty advisor(s) to support of applicant. IGERT student trainees will receive support from the IGERT program for two years. It is critical that the student’s faculty advisor(s) and mentors commit to continued financial support beyond IGERT funding, as well as IGERT support for special equipment and other research needs. A formal letter of commitment from one or more IGERT faculty participants will be considered in the review process.
The personal letter and external letter(s) of recommendation are critical for assessment of applicant qualifications. IGERT faculty may also contact and interview applicants, their referees, or possible faculty mentors for further evidence of qualifications.
Deadline: Applicants must be accepted in a participating department at UT-Austin to be eligible to apply for an IGERT traineeship. It is the responsibility of the applicant to meet deadlines for admission to academic departments. Applications for the IGERT program are received year-round but reviewed only periodically by the IGERT Executive Committee. Applications for the Fall semester will be reviewed beginning February 1 and until all positions are filled.